Paasch's Illustrated Marine Dictionary: Originally Published as from Keel to Truck by Captain Heinrich Paasch (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.95+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.16
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionCaptain Heinrich Paasch was the first to recognize the complexity and variety in marine vocabulary and technical termilogy and the inherent need for a cohesive classification of nautical terms. Equipped with over thirty-five years of seafaring experience, including as a sailor, captain, and as a Surveyor to Lloyd's Register, Paasch sets out, chapter by chapter, an exhaustive explanation of all the principal parts of a ship's structure and equipment. He describes the main types of steam and sailing vessels; wooden and iron hulls; propulsion machinery; anchors and related equipment; masts and spars; standing and running rigging, as well as sails, tackle, blocks and ropes. He concludes with kts, bends, hitches, and splices and finally provides a listing of standard measurements. Paasch's stated intention to describe a ship literally From Keel to Truck has been widely applauded as has his inclusion of the equivalent terms in French and German alongside the English. Each section is accompanied by dozens of high-quality line engravings to accompany the text and illustrate the termilogy and concept described. First published in 1885, and an invaluable resource ever since, Captain Paasch's dictionary is both a full encyclopedia and an unequaled introduction for anyone interested in steam and sailing ships, life aboard a ship, engineering, or simply understanding the language. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Sports Publishing imprint, is proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in sports--books about baseball, pro football, college football, pro and college basketball, hockey, or soccer, we have a book about your sport or your team. In addition to books on popular team sports, we also publish books for a wide variety of athletes and sports enthusiasts, including books on running, cycling, horseback riding, swimming, tennis, martial arts, golf, camping, hiking, aviation, boating, and so much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to publishing books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked by other publishers and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyCaptain Heinrich Paasch first went to sea at the age of ten in 1845. After doing service in the German and Danish Navies and in the German, Dutch, and American Merchant Navies, he got his own command of a Russian ship at the age of 27. From 1879 he settled in Antwerp practicing as a ship surveyor to Lloyd's Register, eventually investing a significant sum in printing 5,000 copies of this book which first appeared in 1885 as From Keel To Truck.
- Author(s)Captain Heinrich Paasch
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication17/07/2014
- LanguageEnglish & French & German
- SubjectShips & Waterways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Content Note85 B&W illustrations
- Weight442 g
- Width146 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.