Packed for the Wrong Trip: A New Look Inside Abu Ghraib and the Citizen-Soldiers Who Redeemed America's Honor by W Zach Griffith (Hardback, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $44.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by kamilc1
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow an Unprepared, Undertrained Group of Maine National Guard Troops Went to Abu Ghraib to Fix the Irreparable The prison at Abu Ghraib was still a relatively unkwn part of America's War on Terror when--with special training and their gear lost somewhere between the United States and Baghdad--the 152nd Field Artillery Battalion of the Maine National Guard was sent there to serve as guards in February 2004. Just before their arrival, the w infamous photos of the abuses suffered by the prisoners hit the world stage. Abu Ghraib became the focal point t only for global condemnation but for the insurgents' outrage. Over the next year, the 152nd would come under attack by snipers, suicide bombers, vehicle-borne IEDs, and constant rocket and mortar fire. Yet at the same time, the Mainers would form close bonds with some of the prisoners, among them an Iraqi boy struck by a mortar in one of two mass casualty events, and Kamal, a community leader who acts as an envoy between the detainees and the soldiers and yet is assassinated after his release for helping the Americans. The men of the 152nd were an eclectic group of citizen-soldiers caught in one of the darkest corners of the war in Iraq. Packed for the Wrong Trip tells the true story of how they relied on each other and their own ingenuity to survive and to transform one of the most inhumane detainee centers into a functioning, humane prison--or as close to one as you could get when tucked between Baghdad and the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in history-books about World War II, the Third Reich, Hitler and his henchmen, the JFK assassination, conspiracies, the American Civil War, the American Revolution, gladiators, Vikings, ancient Rome, medieval times, the old West, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyW. Zach Griffith served as a combat correspondent in the United States Marine Corps for eight years. He has published hundreds of articles and thousands of photographs for the US military and was the recipient of the 2011 Thomas Jefferson Award for his work as a broadcast journalist. His latest project, Packed for the Wrong Trip is the true story of Maine National Guard soldiers serving at Abu Ghraib prison following the torture scandal of 2004 and is his first book. He lives in Portland, Maine.
- Author(s)W Zach Griffith
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArcade Publishing
- Content NoteColor photos
- Weight471 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.