All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.76Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.36Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionPadstow Lifeboat Station, first established in the early eighteenth century, is one of the most famous in the country, and has a long and proud history of saving lives at sea off the treacherous coast of North Cornwall. Pulling and sailing lifeboats were operated into the twentieth century, with the first motor lifeboat, Princess Mary, arriving in 1929. Steam lifeboats and a unique steam tug and pulling lifeboat combination were also operated. Many medal-winning rescues have been performed by the Padstow lifeboats and in total 28 Silver medals have been awarded to Padstow lifeboat men. The current lifeboat station is situated at Trevose Head, where a new lifeboat house and slipway, to house a new GBP2.5 million Tamar class lifeboat, Spirit of Padstow, was completed in 2006, providing the station and its team of dedicated volunteer crew with state-of-the-art facilities. This book has been compiled with the full co-operation of Padstow station and presents an authoritative account of more than 180 years of rescues and life-saving at sea.
- Author BiographyNicholas Leach has written a number of books on lifeboats and lighthouses around the UK, including Arun Lifeboats, Cromer Lifeboats, Hunstanton Lifeboats, Never Turn Back: A History of Caister Lifeboats, and The Lifeboats Service in Ireland: Station by Station. He is the editor of Ships Monthly and lives in Staffordshire.
- Author(s)Nicholas Leach
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight320 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.