All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionIn Pagans and Christians in Late Antiquity, A.D. Lee documents the transformation of the religious landscape of the Roman world from one of ermous diversity of religious practices and creeds in the 3rd century to a situation where, by the 6th century, Christianity had become the dominant religious force. Using translated extracts from contemporary sources he examines the fortunes of pagans and Christians from the upheavals of the 3rd Century, through the dramatic events associated with the emperors Constantine, Julian and Theodosius in the 4th, to the increasingly tumultuous times of the 5th and 6th centuries, while also illustrating important themes in late antique Christianity such as the growth of monasticism, the emerging power of bishops and the development of pilgrimage, as well as the fate of other significant religious groups including Jews and Manichaeans. This new edition has been updated to include: * additional documentary material, including newly published papyri * an expanded chapter on the emperor Constantine * greater attention to church controversies in the fourth and fifth centuries * thoroughly updated references and further reading, taking into account developments in modern scholarship during the past fifteen years. Pagans and Christians in Late Antiquity is an invaluable resource for students of the late antique world, and of early Christianity and the early Church.
- Author BiographyDoug Lee is Professor of Ancient History at the University of Nottingham. He has published widely on many aspects of Late Antiquity, including his most recent book, From Rome to Byzantium, AD 363 to 565: The Transformation of Ancient Rome (2013).
- Author(s)A. D. Lee
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/08/2015
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleRoutledge Sourcebooks for the Ancient World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight552 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.