All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1969, a group of young Puerto Rican activists founded the Young Lords Party in New York, taking inspiration from the Black Panthers. Palante, the first book by and about the radical organisation, is brought back into print with new introductory material. Capturing the spirit and actions of the 1960s, Palante features political essays by the group's original members, oral histories of their lives and more than 75 photos of their membership and actions.
- Author BiographyIn 1969, a group of young, primarily Puerto Rican activists founded the Young Lords Party in New York City, taking inspiration from the Black Panther Party. Organizing directly in Latino/a communities the Young Lords took up slum housing conditions, garbage clean ups, -serve the people programs, - and health care. Dramatic takeovers of institutions--such as The People's Church, where they ran a free breakfast program, and Lincoln hospital, where they held free testing for tuberculosis and lead poisoning--brought media and public attention to the socio-economic and political situation of people of color in the United States. They summarized their political beliefs and goals in a 13-point program, published and distributed a newspaper called PALANTE and produced a weekly radio show on WBAI also called PALANTE. Iris Morales is an activist, educator, media Producer and author who has spent her life in the struggle for human rights and Puerto Rican liberation. A member of the Young Lords for five years, she rose through the ranks to become Deputy Minister of Education and leader of the Women's Union. !Palante, Siempre Palante!, her award-winning documentary about the Young Lords was broadcast on national public television and continues to be screened widely in colleges and community venues across the United States. Ms. Morales lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Michael Abramsom
- PublisherHaymarket Books
- Date of Publication21/07/2011
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaymarket Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight606 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.