Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a comprehensive resource on the pandemics that threaten our world.Throughout history, pandemics have rapidly spread across national and continental borders to inflict an insurmountable toll on human life and suffering. From the Black Death in Asia and Europe to the smallpox and polio outbreaks that decimated the Americas, to the contemporary concerns over HIV/AIDS and the avian flu, epidemics have been a contius threat to society and the world. Pandemics and Global Health begins with an introduction that reviews major types of infectious agents and modes of transmission and then provides a historical overview of infectious diseases and our attempts to control epidemics. The introduction is followed by detailed case studies of the United States, China, Africa, and India. Each of these case studies outlines a recent outbreak and the government's response, demonstrating the need for transparency, government commitment, and adequate financing in the fight against major diseases. Gathering key information on many contemporary international public health issues, this is a valuable resource for anyone wanting to become more informed on global health concerns.
- Author BiographyBarry Youngerman has been a nonfiction writer, editor, and translator for more than 25 years. He is the author of The Truth About Divorce and The Truth About Alcohol, and coauthor of A Brief History of Afghanistan, all for Facts On File. He lives in New York City. Susan Foster is professor of international health at Boston University School of Public Health. She also serves as the director of Public Policy and Education at Boston's Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics. Foster has a background in pharmaceutical policy and infectious disease economics, and has worked as an economist with the WHO Essential Drugs Program and with the World Bank's Population, Health, and Nutrition Department.
- Author(s)Barry Youngerman
- PublisherFacts On File Inc
- Date of Publication15/11/2008
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleGlobal Issues
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCheckmark Books
- Content Noteindex, bibliography, glossary, chronology, tables, graphs
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword bySusan Foster
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.