Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.33Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionParadigms Regained is James L Battersby's effort to reclaim for literary study certain legitimate territories that have been needlessly abandoned on the theoretical battlefield. Despite assertions to the contrary by poststructuralist or new historicist critics, Battersby contends, it is still possible to talk intelligently, rigorously, and usefully about such issues as literary intentionality, stable references, determinate meaning, and objective value judgments of literary works. What enables Battersby to make his argument is his reliance t on continental thought but on Anglo-American analytic and pragmatic philosophers, including Donald Davidson, Michael Dummett, Nelson Goodman, Hilary Putnam, John Searle, and Israel Scheffler. Battersby synthesizes and builds on their work in a way that is at once fresh and distinctive.
- Author BiographyJames L. Battersby is Professor Emeritus of English, The Ohio State University, and the author of Reason and the Nature of Texts, also available from the University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Author(s)James L. Battersby
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication01/08/1991
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight716 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.