All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis straight-talking and accessible guide for parents of teenagers on the autism spectrum provides down-to-earth advice on coping with the more difficult issues that can arise at home and school during the adolescent years. Andrew Schlegelmilch discusses common parenting challenges and offers advice drawn from his extensive experience working with teenagers with autism and their families as Head Psychologist at a college preparatory school. He offers parents professional guidance on what to do about falling grades, how to handle adolescent tantrums, how to talk about sex and sexuality with your child, how to help your child with peer relationships, how to keep your child safe online, and what to do if you suspect your child has mental health problems. Integral to the discussion is how to set realistic expectations and encourage independence in ways that work for both your child with autism and the rest of the family, as well as how to make the best use of the help professionals can offer.
- Author BiographyAndrew Schlegelmilch, PhD, is a clinical psychologist and consultant in private practice who specializes in working with children and teens with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families. He previously worked as Head Psychologist at Orion Academy in Moraga, California, a college preparatory high school for adolescents with Asperger's Syndrome, Non-verbal Learning Disability, and other related neurocognitive disorders. He has completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Applewood Centers, Cleveland, Ohio, an urban community mental health center where he did individual and group therapy and diagnostic assessments. He lives in San Francisco, California.
- Author(s)Andrew Schlegelmilch
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication28/04/2014
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight335 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.69
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $47.88
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.