All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionParliamentary theory, practices, discourses, and institutions constitute a distinctively European contribution to modern politics. Taking a broad historical perspective, this cross-disciplinary, invative, and rigorous collection locates the essence of parliamentarism in four key aspects-deliberation, representation, responsibility, and sovereignty-and explores the different ways in which they have been contested, reshaped, and implemented in a series of representative national and regional case studies. As one of the first comparative studies in conceptual history, this volume focuses on debates about the nature of parliament and parliamentarism within and across different European countries, representative institutions, and genres of political discourse.
- Author BiographyPasi Ihalainen is Professor of Comparative European History at the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. His authored and co-edited books include Protestant Nations Redefined (2005), Agents of the People: Democracy and Popular Sovereignty in British and Swedish Parliamentary and Public Debates, 1734-1800 (2010), Scandinavia in the Age of Revolution: Nordic Political Cultures, 1740-1820 (2011), and Language Policies in Finland and Sweden: Interdisciplinary and Multi-sited Comparisons (2014). He is a board member of the research network EuParl.net. Cornelia Ilie is Professor of Business Communication at Zayed University, UAE, and was previously based at Malmo University, Sweden. She has published extensively on political, media, and academic discourses, rhetoric, and argumentation, including European Parliaments under Scrutiny: Discourse Strategies and Interaction Practices (2010), Evolving Genres in Web-mediated Communication (2012), and International Encyclopedia of Language and Social Interaction (2015). She is the president of ESTIDIA (the European Society for Transcultural and Interdisciplinary Dialogue), and a board member of IADA (the International Association for Dialogue Analysis). Kari Palonen is a Professor of Political Science and Director of the Finnish Centre of Political Thought and Conceptual Change at the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. Recent monographs include Objektivitat als faires Spiel: Wissenschaft als Politik bei Max Weber (2010), Rhetorik des Unbeliebten: Lobreden auf Politiker im Zeitalter der Demokratie (2012), Politics and Conceptual Histories (2014), and The Politics of Parliamentary Procedure: The Formation of the Westminster Procedure as a Parliamentary Ideal Type (2014).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/01/2016
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleEuropean Conceptual History
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight621 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byCornelia Ilie,Kari Palonen,Pasi Ihalainen
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.