All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGermany and the United States entered the post-9/11 era as allies, but they will leave it as partners of convenience --or even possibly as rivals.The first comprehensive examination of the German-American relationship written since the invasion of Iraq, Parting Ways is indispensable for those seeking to chart the future course of the transatlantic alliance.In early 2003, it became apparent that many nations, including close allies of the United States, would not participate in the U.S.-led coalition against Iraq. Despite the high-profile tension between the United States and France, some of the most bitter opposition came from Germany, marking the end not only of the German-American special relationship, but also of the broader transatlantic relationship's preeminence in Western strategic thought. Drawing on extensive research and personal interviews with decisionmakers and informed observers in both the United States and Germany, Stephen F. Szabo frames the clash between Gerhard Schr?der and George W. Bush over U.S. policy in Iraq in the context of the larger changes shaping the relationship between the two countries. Szabo considers such longer-term factors as the decreasing strategic importance of the U.S.-German relationship for each nation in the post-cold war era, the emergence of a new German identity within Germany itself, and a U.S. foreign policy led by what is arguably the most ideological administration of the post-World War II era.
- Author BiographyStephen F. Szabo is professor of European studies at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, Maryland, USA, and holder of the Steven Muller Chair in German Studies at the SAIS Bologna Center in 2004-05. He focuses on the areas of European security and politics, with a specialization on contemporary Germany. He was a Bosch Public Policy Fellow at the American Academy in Berlin in fall 2002. His previous books include The Diplomacy of German Unification (St. Martin's Press, 1992).
- Author(s)Stephen F. Szabo
- PublisherBrookings Institution
- Date of Publication01/06/2004
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookings Institution
- Weight27 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.