All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $40.75Trending at AU $42.35
About this product
- Description2012 Horable mention for the Book Award in Cultural Studies from the Association for Asian American Studies Arkansas, 1943. The Deep South during the heart of Jim Crow-era segregation. A Japanese-American person boards a bus, and immediately is faced with a dilemma. Not white. Not black. Where to sit? By elucidating the experience of interstitial ethnic groups such as Mexican, Asian, and Native Americans-groups that are held to be neither black r white-Leslie Bow explores how the color line accommodated-or refused to accommodate- other ethnicities within a binary racial system. Analyzing pre- and post-1954 American literature, film, autobiography, government documents, ethgraphy, photographs, and popular culture, Bow investigates the ways in which racially in-between people and communities were brought to heel within the South's prevailing cultural logic, while locating the interstitial as a site of cultural anxiety and negotiation. Spanning the pre- to the post- segregation eras, Partly Colored traces the compelling history of third race individuals in the U.S. South, and in the process forces us to contend with the multiracial parama that constitutes American culture and history.
- Author BiographyLeslie Bow is Professor of English and Asian American Studies at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. She is author of Betrayal and Other Acts of Subversion.
- Author(s)Leslie Bow
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication23/04/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.