CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.66
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
About this product
- DescriptionThis is my central philosophy: one starts off with something as an academic study but from it stems a series of important things to say which must be got over to a greater audience in a variety of forms. So to some extent one foxes everyone by simultaneously being scholar and academic, populariser and communicator, and sticking to the belief that these are t incompatible. (Roy Strong, 1971). For almost forty years, Roy Strong has been in the public spotlight - as the director of the National Portrait Gallery and the Victoria and Albert Museum, as a broadcaster, consultant and lecturer, and as the author of many books on art, history, garden design and food. Published to celebrate Roy Strong's 70th birthday in August 2005, this collection of pieces showcases the wide range of his interests and passions: from a meditation on the nature of beauty and reflections on the English national character to the passionate defence of the importance of history and an assessment of the consequences of devolution. Along the way we learn about Sir Roy's first years at the National Portrait Gallery as a young assistant keeper, hear his personal recollections of the Queen Mother, and read his poignant and moving thoughts on the nature of grief and happiness. This collection will be cherished by the many people who have followed Sir Roy's long career with admiration and devotion; for others it will provide the perfect introduction to the life and work of this national treasure.
- Author BiographySir Roy Strong was educated at the University of London, and the Warburg Institute. He joined the staff of the National Portrait Gallery in 1959 and became its director from 1967 to 1973. He was director of the Victoria & Albert Museum from 1974 to 1987, when he resigned to become a full-time writer, broadcaster and consultant. His books include The Cult of Elizabeth, Gloriana, Henry Prince of Wales, Painting the Past, The Story of Britain, The Arts in Britain and Feast: A History of Grand Eating (all available in Pimlico).
- Author(s)Sir Roy Strong
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication04/08/2005
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight330 g
- Width137 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.