All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPasta and pizza, in all their infinitely delicious and universally appealing varieties, are inextricably connected to Italian identity. These familiar foods t only represent Italy's culinary traditions, according to anthropologist Franco La Cecla, they have unified the Italian people and spread Italian culture worldwide. Pasta and Pizza tells the story of how cuisine born in the south of Italy during the Arab conquest became a foundation for the creation of a new nation. As La Cecla shows, this process intensified as millions of Italians immigrated to the Americas: it was abroad that pasta and pizza became synymous with being Italian, and the foods' popularity grew as the Italian presence expanded in American culture. More than literature, art, or even language, food serves as a strong cultural rallying point for the Italian people and a way to disseminate Italian traditions worldwide. Available for the first time in English, La Cecla's lively and accessible study will be of interest to a wide range of readers, from social theorists to avid foodies.
- Author BiographyFranco La Cecla teaches anthropology at San Raffaele University in Milan, is a consultant of the Barcelona City Council, and is the author of many books. Lydia G. Cochrane has translated numerous works from Italian and French for the University of Chicago Press.
- Author(s)Franco La Cecla
- PublisherPrickly Paradigm Press, LLC
- Date of Publication04/01/2008
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrickly Paradigm Press, LLC
- Weight124 g
- Width116 mm
- Height182 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Translated byLydia G. Cochrane
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.