All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionPastoral Process draws a basic distinction between two aspects of the pastoral ideal: the Arcadian pastoral, which locates the unspoiled paradise in space, apart from the complexities of city and court, and finds it accessible for limited periods of recuperation and reorientation; and the Golden Age mode, which locates the ideal pastoral life in time gone by, always already lost as soon as it is apprehended as paradise. The author s central aim is an archaeology of the stalgia-based pastoral of the vanished Golden Age. On the surface level, her close readings of certain Renaissance poems and sequences Spenser s Shepheardes Calender, Marvell s Mower poems, and Milton s Lycidas clarify pastoral process: the dislocating transition from incence to experience, from secure centeredness in a comfortable, self-mirroring world to a new condition of division, displacement, and alienation. The advent of individuation and sexual desire, and the internalization of undirectional time and universal death, transform the pastoral paradise into a wasteland or leave the newly self-conscious protagonist outside his former idyll, looking in.
- Author(s)Susan Snyder
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/1998
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.