All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJane Alison Sherwin's honest and uplifting account provides insight into the challenges of bringing up a child with Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA). After years of misdiagsis, Jane's daughter, Mollie, was diagsed with PDA at the age of seven, and we follow her experiences pre and post diagsis to age 10 as she attends school, interacts with the outside world and approaches adolescence. Throughout, Jane provides commentary on her daughter's behaviour and the impact it has on her family, explaining the 'why' of PDA traits, including the need for control, meltdowns, obsessive behaviour and sensory issues. She reveals the strategies that have worked for Mollie and provides essential advice and information on obtaining a diagsis and raising awareness of PDA. The book also includes an interview with Mollie. Full of advice and support, and with a focus on understanding the child and how he or she sees the world, this book will be of immeasurable value to the parents and families of children with PDA as well as the professionals working with them, particularly teachers and teaching assistants, SEN co-ordinators, psychologists, outreach workers and social workers.
- Author BiographyJane Alison Sherwin began a successful career in the family business at the age of 19. When her daughter began displaying difficulties in school, eventually being diagnosed with Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome (PDA), Jane gave up work to concentrate on being her daughter's carer, teacher, advocate, psychologist, psychiatrist and her mum all rolled into one. The same drive that made her successful in the workplace was now concentrated on her family and a need to understand what drove their unique difficulties. Jane has no professional qualifications in the field of PDA; her knowledge has been self-taught through literature, media and life experience. She lives in Staffordshire, UK.
- Author(s)Jane Alison Sherwin
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication21/01/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight340 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byPhil Christie
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $37.95
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.88
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.