All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.69Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- Description'It's an easy eugh job if one has something to say', Paul Bowles remarked in a letter to his mother about his first foray into music criticism. And Paul Bowles, indeed, had plenty to say about music. Though kwn chiefly as a writer of vels and stories, Paul Bowles (1910-99) thought of himself first and foremost as a composer. Drawing together the work he did at the intersection of his two passions and professions, writing and music, this volume collects the music criticism Bowles published between 1935 and 1946 as well as an interview conducted by Irene Herrmann shortly before his death. An intimate of Aaron Copland and protege of Virgil Thomson, Bowles was a musical sophisticate acquainted with an ermous range of music. His criticism collected here brilliantly illuminates t only the whole range of modernist composition but also film music, jazz, Mexican and Moroccan music, and many other genres. As a reviewer he reports on established artists and young hopefuls, symphonic concerts indoors and out, and important premieres of works by Copland, Thomson, Cage, Shostakovich, and Stravinsky, among others. Written with the austere grace of his better-kwn literary works, Bowles' criticism enhances our picture of an important era in American music history as well as our sense of his accomplishments and extraordinary contribution to twentieth-century culture.
- Author BiographyWinner of the ASCAP Deems-Taylor Award for music criticism, Timothy Mangan is classical music critic for the Orange County Register. Irene Herrmann is Lecturer in Music at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and the executrix of the Paul Bowles music estate.
- Author(s)Paul Bowles
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication22/08/2003
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note1 music example
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byIrene Herrmann,Timothy Mangan
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.