All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter a lifetime of working on a series of collective portraits in far-flung places such as Mexico; Ghana; Italy; Tir aMhurain, Scotland; and his adoptive country, France, an aging Paul Strand decided to concentrate on still lifes and the stony beauty of his own garden at Orgeval, France, as a site in which to distill his discoveries as a photographer. The work that constitutes The Garden at Orgeval is marked by close and careful study of the forms and patterns within nature of tiny buttonshaped flowers, cascading winter branches, and fierce snarls of twigs. While the images bear the same directness and precise vision that is quintessentially Strand, the work also reflects a growing metaphorical turn. Rewned photographer Joel Meyerowitz whose own affinity toward Strands Orgeval series stems from a lifetime of photographing in different genres and ultimately returning to nature as an enduring subject will select the photographs in the book, and respond to them in an accompanying personal essay, reflecting on issues, including the contemplation of ones garden and growing old. Beautifully produced in a modest size, in the manner of a volume of poems, this books task is to do credit to Strands final work, both as an individual and as a key figure in Modernist photography.
- Author(s)Joel Meyerowitz,Paul Strand
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight690 g
- Width205 mm
- Height265 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.86Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.