All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.63
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $86.12
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
About this product
- DescriptionJacques-Henri Bernardin de Saint-Pierre's only vel is a classic of naive love. First published in 1788 to wide acclaim, it subsequently appeared in hundreds of editions throughout the world and influenced a generation of French writers, from George Sand and Lamartine to Balzac and Flaubert. In modern times it has inspired movies such as The Blue Lagoon, major musicals, artworks, a hit song by Celine Dion and even a chain of luxury hotels on Mauritius! Bernardin was inspired by his friend Rousseau to tell the story of two children who grow up entirely according to nature's laws, on a paradise island, free from the corrupting influence of the world. They reach adolescence and fall in love, but tragedy strikes and both die untimely deaths. A key text in the development of the vel, Paul and Virginia is a must for anyone interested in the history of European literature.
- Author BiographyJacques-Henri Bernardin de Saint-Pierre was born in Le Havre in 1737. In 1792 he was made superintendent of the Royal Botanical Gardens and later became professor of moral science at the Ecole Normale Superieure. By the time of his death in 1815, he was president of the French Academy.
- Author(s)Jacques-Henri Bernardin De Saint-Pierre
- PublisherPeter Owen Publishers
- Date of Publication01/05/2005
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Owen Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations, map
- Weight163 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Translated byJohn Donovan
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.