All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- Description<b>From the winner of the Booker Prize: A ravishing book thatopens a window into the lives, designs, and passions of Maria Fortuny and William Morris, two remarkable artists who themselves are passions of the writer A. S. Byatt. </b> Born a generation apart in the mid-1800s, Fortuny and Morris were seeming opposites: Fortuny a Spanish aristocrat thrilled by the sun-baked cultures of Crete and Kssos; Morris a member of the British bourgeoisie, enthralled by Nordic myths. Through their revolutionary inventions and textiles, both men inspired a new variety of art that is as striking today as when it was first conceived. In this elegant meditation, Byatt traces their genius right to the source. Fortuny s Palazzo Pesaro Orfei in Venice is a warren of dark spaces imbued with the rich hues of Asia. In his attic workshop, Fortuny created intricate designs from glowing silks and velvets; in the palazzo he found happiness in a glittering cavern alongside the French model who became his wife and collaborator, including on the famous Delphos dress a flowing, pleated gown that evoked the era of classical Greece. Morris s Red House outside London, with its Gothic turrets and secret gardens, helped inspire his stunning floral and geometric patterns; it likewise represented a coming together of life and art. But it was a sweet simple old place called Kelmscott Mar in the countryside that he loved best even when it became the setting for his wife s love affair with the artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Generously illustrated with the artists beautiful designs pomegranates and acanthus, peacock and vine among other aspects of their worlds, this marvel-filled book brings the visions and ideas of Fortuny and Morris to vivid life.
- Author Biography<b>A. S. BYATT</b>is the author of numerous novels, including <i>The Children s Book, The Biographer s Tale, </i> and <i>Possession, </i> which was awarded the Booker Prize. She has also written two novellas, published together as <i>Angels & Insects, </i> five collections of short stories, and several works of nonfiction. A distinguished critic and author, and the recipient of the 2016 Erasmus Prize for her inspiring contribution to life writing, she lives in London.
- Author(s)A S Byatt
- PublisherKnopf Publishing Group
- Date of Publication02/08/2016
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKnopf Publishing Group
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width145 mm
- Height175 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.