All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $89.13Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
About this product
- DescriptionOn Christmas night of 1998, Maria Meyers learns that her twenty-year-old daughter, Pearl, has chained herself outside the American embassy in Dublin, where she intends to starve herself to death. Although Maria was once a student radical and still proudly lives by her beliefs, gentle, book-loving Pearl has never been interested in politics r in the Catholicism her mother rejected years before. What, then, is driving her to martyr herself? Shaken by this mystery, Maria and her childhood friend (and Pearl s surrogate father), Joseph Kasperman, both rush to Pearl s side. As Mary Gordon tells the story of the bonds among them, she<i></i>takes us deep into the labyrinths of maternal love, religious faith, and Ireland s tragic history. <i>Pearl</i> is a grand and emotionally daring vel of ideas, told with the tension of a thriller.
- Author BiographyMary Gordon s novels include <i>Pearl, </i> S<i>pending, The Company of Women, The Rest of Life, </i>and<i> The Other Side</i>. She is also the author of the memoir <i>The Shadow Man</i>, among other works of non-fiction. She has received a Lila Wallace Reader s Digest Award, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and the 1997 O. Henry Award for best story. She teaches at Barnard College and lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Mary Gordon
- PublisherAnchor Books
- Date of Publication11/04/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAnchor Books
- Weight268 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.