All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
About this product
- DescriptionThis catalogue of a Kelsey Museum of Archaeology exhibition showcases a selection of Islamic art works held in the University of Michigan's collections. Rather than arranged chrologically, geographically, or by media, the objects are organized thematically and conceptually. Themes include the intersections between function and decoration, the aesthetic power of everyday objects, visual play, wit, and magic, connections and interrelationships across art forms, and light symbolism and illumination. The volume t only highlights the strengths of the university's collections of Islamic art but also explores various issues integral to the conception and production of art in the Islamic world from the medieval period until the present day. With 115 colour illustrations.
- Author BiographyChristiane Gruber is Associate Professor of Islamic Art in the History of Art Department at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Her research interests span medieval Islamic art to contemporary visual culture. She has authored two books on Islamic texts and images of the Prophet Muhammad's ascension and has edited several volumes on Islamic book arts, ascension texts and images, and visual and material culture. Ashley Dimmig is a Ph.D. student in the History of Art Department at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Her research interests include Persian and Turkish early modern and modern visual culture, with a special emphasis on textile arts and Ottoman imperial tents. She is the author of Fabricating a New Image: Imperial Tents in the Late Ottoman Period, published in the International Journal of Islamic Architecture (2014).
- Author(s)Ashley Dimmig,Christiane Gruber
- PublisherKelsey Museum of Archaeology
- Date of Publication31/10/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleKelsey Museum Publications
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKelsey Museum of Archaeology
- Width203 mm
- Height203 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.