All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmericans are taught to believe that upward mobility is possible for anyone who is willing to work hard, regardless of their social status, yet it is often those from affluent backgrounds who land the best jobs. Pedigree takes readers behind the closed doors of top-tier investment banks, consulting firms, and law firms to reveal the truth about who really gets hired for the nation's highest-paying entry-level jobs, who doesn't, and why. Drawing on scores of in-depth interviews as well as firsthand observation of hiring practices at some of America's most prestigious firms, Lauren Rivera shows how, at every step of the hiring process, the ways that employers define and evaluate merit are strongly skewed to favor job applicants from ecomically privileged backgrounds. She reveals how decision makers draw from ideas about talent--what it is, what best signals it, and who does (and does t) have it--that are deeply rooted in social class. Displaying the right stuff that elite employers are looking for entails considerable amounts of ecomic, social, and cultural resources on the part of the applicants and their parents. Challenging our most cherished beliefs about college as a great equalizer and the job market as a level playing field, Pedigree exposes the class biases built into American tions about the best and the brightest, and shows how social status plays a significant role in determining who reaches the top of the ecomic ladder.
- Author BiographyLauren A. Rivera is associate professor of management and organizations at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
- PrizesShortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2015.
- Author(s)Lauren A. Rivera
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication09/08/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note4 line illus. 16 tables.
- Weight399 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.