Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
About this product
- DescriptionIn her thesis, Sara Bobone outlines spectroscopic studies of antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) which are promising lead compounds for drugs used to fight multidrug resistant bacteria. Bobone shows that AMPs interact with liposomes and she clarifies the structure of pores formed by one of these molecules. These results help us to understand how AMPs are selective for bacterial membranes and how their activity can be finely tuned by modifying their sequence. Findings which solve several conundrums debated in the literature for years. In addition, Bobone uses liposomes as natemplates for the photopolymerization of hydrogels - exploiting the self- assembly properties of phospholipids. Bobone was able to trap an enzyme using nameteric particles, while still allowing its activity by the diffusion of substrates and products through the network of the polymer. The invative na devices described in this thesis could solve many of the hurdles still hampering the therapeutic application of protein-based drugs.
- Author BiographyI received my M.Sc. Degree in Chemistry magna cum laude from the University of Rome Sapienza . After the degree, I moved to Tor Vergata, where I won a fellowship for PhD students in Chemical Sciences, under the supervision of Prof. L. Stella. I defended my thesis in 2013 and then continued my work as a postdoctoral fellow. The thesis was awarded the 2012-2013 Premio Semerano by the Italian Chemical Society, as the best Italian PhD Physical Chemistry Thesis. The thesis work led to the publication of 7 papers on international journals and to the participation to 13 international and national conferences.
- Author(s)Sara Bobone
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication31/05/2014
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleSpringer Theses
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note76 black & white illustrations, 18 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight403 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.