All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe text is accompanied by an introduction, textual antations by the editor, and a map of Paris. Responses: Contemporaries and Other Novelists illustrates Balzac's immense influence on other writers, among them Charles Baudelaire, Hippolyte Taine, Emile Zola, and Marcel Proust. Twentieth-Century Criticism presents a superb selection of critical writing about the vel. The critics include Ernst Robert Curtius, Albert Beguin, Erich Auerback, Georges Poulet, Michel Butor, Louis Chevalier, Pierre Barberis, Peter Brooks, Sandy Petrey, Nicole Mozet, and Janet L. Beizer.
- Author BiographyHonore de Balzac (1799-1850) was born in Tours. By the time of his death, he had written over one hundred novels, novellas, and plays, all the while working as a journalist. Colonel Chabert is one of the Scenes from Private Life, which is a part of Balzac's well-known life-long project, La Comedie Humaine. Peter Brooks has written extensively about the nineteenth-century novel, French and English. His books include The Melodramatic Imagination: Balzac, Henry James, Melodrama, and the Mode of Excess; Reading for the Plot, Body Work, Psychoanalysis and Storytelling and The Emperor's Body: A Novel. After many years on the faculty at Yale University, he currently teaches at Princeton University. Burton Raffel is Distinguished Professor of Humanities at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Emeritus. He is the translator of many works, including Gargantua and Pantagruel (awarded the French-American Foundation Translation Prize), Pere Goriot, Beowulf, and the five romances of Chretien de Troyes.
- Author(s)Honore de Balzac
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication04/02/1998
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleNorton Critical Editions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content NoteIllustrations, 1 map
- Weight360 g
- Width129 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byPeter Brooks
- Translated byProfessor Burton Raffel
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.39Trending at AU $30.79
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.46
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $22.93
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.05
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $13.71
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.44
- AU $12.36Trending at AU $14.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.