Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $14.42Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.25
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $11.56Trending at AU $16.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
About this product
- DescriptionA spellbinding vel that will resonate with readers of Mark Haddon, Louise Erdrich, and John Irving, Perfect tells the story of a young boy who is thrown into the murky, difficult realities of the adult world with far-reaching consequences. Byron Hemmings wakes to a morning that looks like any other: his school uniform draped over his wooden desk chair, his sister arguing over the breakfast cereal, the click of his mother s heels as she crosses the kitchen. But when the three of them leave home, driving into a dense summer fog, the morning takes an unmistakable turn. In one terrible moment, something happens, something completely unexpected and at odds with life as Byron understands it. While his mother seems t to have ticed, eleven-year-old Byron understands that from w on thing can be the same. What happened and who is to blame? Over the days and weeks that follow, Byron s perfect world is shattered. Unable to trust his parents, he confides in his best friend, James, and together they concoct a plan. . . . As she did in her debut, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, Rachel Joyce has imagined bewitching characters who find their ordinary lives unexpectedly thrown into chaos, who learn that there are times when children must become parents to their parents, and who discover that in confronting the hard truths about their pasts, they will forge unexpected relationships that have profound and surprising impacts. Brimming with love, forgiveness, and redemption, Perfect will cement Rachel Joyce s reputation as one of fiction s brightest talents. Praise forPerfect Touching, eccentric . . . Joyce does an inviting job of setting up these mysterious circumstances, and of drawing Byron s magical closeness with Diana. Janet Maslin, The New York Tiimes Haunting . . . compelling. Minneapolis Star Tribune [Joyce] triumphantly returns with Perfect. . . . As Joyce probes the souls of Diana, Byron and Jim, she reveals slowly and deliberately, as if peeling back a delicate onion skin the connection between the two stories, creating a poignant, searching tale. O: The Oprah Magazine Perfect touches on class, mental illness, and the ways a psyche is formed or broken. It has the ter of a horror film, and yet at the end, in some kind of contortionist trick, the narrative unfolds into an unexpected burst of redemption. [Verdict: ] Buy It. New York Joyce s dark, quiet follow-up to her successful debut, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, could easily become a book club favorite. . . . Perfect is the kind of book that blossoms under thoughtful examination, its slow tendencies redeemed by moments of loveliness and insight. However sad, Joyce s messages about the limitations of time and control, the failures of adults and the fears of children, and our responsibility for our own imprisonment and freedom have a gentle ring of truth to them. The Washington Post There is a poignancy to Joyce s narrative that makes for her most memorable writing. NPR s All Things Considered
- Author BiographyRachel Joyce is the author of the international bestseller The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. She is also the award-winning writer of more than twenty plays for BBC Radio 4. She started writing after a twenty-year acting career, in which she performed leading roles for the Royal Shakespeare Company and won multiple awards. Rachel Joyce lives with her family on a Gloucestershire farm.
- Author(s)Rachel Joyce
- PublisherRandom House
- Date of Publication14/01/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House
- Out-of-print date27/04/2017
- Weight544 g
- Width146 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.