Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $102.53+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPerformance sizzles with the electric charge that passes between a great photographer and an incandescent artist when they share a purpose and a passion. The photographer Richard Avedon had, in his own words, 'a passion for high-definition performance and a faith in the religion of perpetual acceleration'. Or, as critic John Lahr says of Avedon, 'He was ravished by the articulate energy of great performers'. The preeminent stars and artists of the performing arts from the second half of the twentieth century offered Avedon their greatest gifts - and, sometimes, their inner lives.More than two hundred of them are portrayed in Performance , many in photographs that have rarely or never been seen before. Of course, the great stars light the way: Hepburn and Chaplin, Monroe and Garland, Brando and Sinatra. But here too are the actors and comedians, pop stars and divas, musicians and dancers, artists in all mediums with public lives that were and are essentially performances. The celebrated author and critic John Lahr offers an elegant assessment of Avedon's achievement. Four supremely talented artists from the performing arts - Mike Nichols, Andre Gregory, Mitsuko Uchida and Twyla Tharp - contribute lively and moving memoirs about their collaborations with Avedon. Finally, Performance is a remarkable achievement in book-making, from its invative portfolio binding to the superb quality of its printing.
- Author BiographyRichard Avedon was one of the most influential photographers of the second half of the twentieth century. His portrait work comprises an authoritative record of his era. Avedon re-definied the fashion photograph. In 1992 he was named the first staff photographer in the history of The New Yorker. John Lahr is Senior Drama Critic of the New Yorker. Mike Nichols in an award-winning stage and film director, writer and producer. Andre Gregory is an American director and actor. Mitsuko Uchida is a highly acclaimed classical pianist. Twyla Tharp is an award-winning dancer and choreographer.
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarry N. Abrams, Inc.
- Content Note30 colour, 175 b&w images
- Weight2600 g
- Width254 mm
- Height324 mm
- Spine39 mm
- Photographer(s)Richard Avedon
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.