Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an unprecedented reading of Mexican history through the lens of performance. Tlaxcala is unique among the states of Mexico. Because of its fierce independence during the pre-Columbian era (it was never conquered by the Aztecs) and its strategic alliance with the Spanish invaders in Cortez's conquest in the early sixteenth century, Tlaxcala has played a significant role in Mexican history. Performing Conquest examines the distinct Tlaxcalan identity that has evolved over the last five centuries and the way that performance - especially political speech - has been inextricably linked to its creation. The book focuses on theatrical performances, political events, texts that 'perform' despite themselves, and state-sponsored performances designed to foment local and/or national identity.The theatrical strategies included the re-imagination of civic space, the combination of aural, oral, and visual means of communication to create meaning, and the blurring of the line between representation and reality, which made everyday citizens into 'actors' in their spectacles. Performing Conquest shows t only that these strategies were deeply embedded cultural practices, learned from and developed within religious conversion plays, political entry ceremonies, festival displays, tragic hero dramas, and state-sponsored patriotic pageants, but also that they transformed at crucial historical moments in response to various wars, national cultural policies, and debt crises.
- Author BiographyPatricia A. Ybarra is Assistant Professor of Theater, Speech, and Dance at Brown University.
- Author(s)Patricia A. Ybarra
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleTheater: Theory/Text/Performance
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note11 photographs
- Weight549 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.