All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHumorous yet touching, Performing Femininity challenges traditional and feminist perspectives on gender. As a woman whose brand of feminism is suspect, Lesa Lockford places herself in the most shameful, the most abject circumstances: an image obsessed weight-watcher, an exotic dancer, and a theatrical performer. By exposing herself to the abject, she reclaims her body's symbolic value from society. This experimental autoethgraphy provides a provocative model to the ethgrapher and rewards the student of gender studies with a rare perspective.
- Author BiographyLesa Lockford teaches courses in theatre and performance studies at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. Currently, her scholarly interests are performance methods and composition, gender and sexuality, alternative forms of scholarly representation, and qualitative methods of inquiry. Journals in which her work has appeared include Text and Performance Quarterly, Qualitative Inquiry, Theatre Annual, and Women's Studies in Communication. She has performed her original creative texts and texts by others at regional and national academic conferences. Before returning to the Academy to pursue graduate studies, she trained and worked as a professional actor in the United Kingdom.
- Author(s)Lesa Lockford
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/01/2004
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleEthnographic Alternatives
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width181 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.