All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionThe Virgin of Guadalupe, though quintessentially Mexican, inspires devotion throughout the Americas and around the world. This study sheds new light on the long-standing transnational dimensions of Guadalupan worship by examining the production of sacred space in three disparate but interconnected locations - at the sacred space kwn as Tepeyac in Mexico City, at its replica in Des Plaines, Illiis, and at a sidewalk shrine constructed by Mexican nationals in Chicago. Weaving together rich on-the-ground observations with insights drawn from performance studies, Elaine A. Pena demonstrates how devotees' rituals - pilgrimage, prayers, and festivals - develop, sustain, and legitimize these sacred spaces. Interdisciplinary in scope, Performing Piety paints a nuanced picture of the lived experience of Guadalupan devotion in which different forms of kwing, socio-ecomic and political coping tactics, conceptions of history, and faith-based traditions circulate within and between sacred spaces.
- Author BiographyElaine A. Pena is Assistant Professor of American Studies at George Washington University.
- Author(s)Elaine A. Pena
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication12/06/2011
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note16 b/w photographs, 3 maps
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.