All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains the Greek text Periplus Ponti Euxini , with a full introduction, commentary and facing-page translation. Arrian, the Roman senator, is kwn as a philosopher and the historian of Alexander. He also enjoyed a sucessful political and military career, and the friendship of Hadrian. Arrian's text mixes the literary forms of a friendly letter and the traditional Greek periplus, or coastal guide. It describes a tour of duty around the Black Sea undertaken in an official capacity as goverr of the frontier province of Cappadocia, and contains important evidence for this crucial corner of the eastern frontier of the Empire. It also affords us an insight into the cultural and political background of the early second century, from a man well placed t only to understand, but also to promote the new common imperial culture being forged by the hellephile Emperor.
- Author BiographyAidan Liddle read Classics at Oxford and now works as a civil servant at the Department of Trade and Industry.
- Author(s)Aidan Liddle,Arrian
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication16/10/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleGreek Texts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Classical Press
- Content Notemaps
- Weight233 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Translated byAidan Liddle
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.