All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe publication of Personal Kwledge in 1958 shook the science world, as Michael Polanyi took aim at the long-standing ideals of rigid empiricism and rule-bound logic. Today, Personal Kwledge remains one of the most significant philosophy of science books of the twentieth century, bringing the crucial concepts of tacit kwledge and personal kwledge to the forefront of inquiry. In this remarkable treatise, Polanyi attests that our personal experiences and ways of sharing kwledge have a profound effect on scientific discovery. He argues against the idea of the wholly dispassionate researcher, pointing out that even in the strictest of sciences, kwing is still an art, and that personal commitment and passion are logically necessary parts of research. In our techlogical age where fact is split from value and science from humanity, Polanyi's work continues to advocate for the innate curiosity and scientific leaps of faith that drive our most dazzling ingenuity. For this expanded edition, Polyani scholar Mary Jo Nye set the philosopher-scientist's work into contemporary context, offering fresh insights and providing a helpful guide to critical terms in the work. Used in fields as diverse as religious studies, chemistry, ecomics, and anthropology, Polanyi's view of kwledge creation is just as relevant to intellectual endeavors today as when it first made waves more than fifty years ago.
- Author BiographyMichael Polanyi (18911976) was a Hungarian-British chemist and philosopher, a fellow of the Royal Society, and a fellow of Merton College, Oxford. His many books include Science, Faith, and Society; Knowing and Being; and Meaning, all published by the University of Chicago Press.
- Author(s)Michael Polanyi
- PublisherUniversity of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication22/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Science
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.