All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRobert Jeffrey, author of the bestselling Barlinnie Story and other true crime books, w tells the remarkable story of the infamous Peterhead Prison in Scotland's far rth-east. Built in the 1880s as part of an ambitious humanitarian plan to use convict labour to construct a 'harbour of refuge' on the town's wild, storm-battered coast, it became what some call Scotland's gulag. A cold and brutal place, it has held down the years some of Scotland's most violent criminals and most infamous prisoners, convicted of the most heius of crimes. In the early days, convicts were controlled by men as hard as their charges. The wardens carried swords and were quick to use them if necessary. And when convict labour was used to build the harbour, they worked with rifles trained on them at all times. Peterhead's wardens were clearly t to be crossed. Throughout the history of the prison, riots and breakouts have made headlines, with the SAS involved in restoring order at one point. Peterhead also had the reputation of being so secure that escape was impossible, with the table exception of Johnny Ramensky, the safeblower turned war hero who went back to his criminal ways and spent more than forty years of his life in prison, many of them in Peterhead. He became the first inmate to escape and repeated the exercise four more times, often for his own satisfaction and amusement, each time being recaptured after a short taste of freedom. Peterhead - Scotland's Toughest Prison tells the remarkable inside story of a truly grim institution with a fearsome reputation.
- Author BiographyRobert Jeffrey is a long-serving Glasgow journalist and the former managing editor of the Herald group of newspapers. His many bestsellers include Glasgow's Hard Men, Blood on the Streets, Glasgow's Godfather and Gentle Johnny Ramensky.
- Author(s)Robert Jeffrey
- PublisherBlack and White Publishing
- Date of Publication22/10/2013
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack and White Publishing
- Content Note8 pp. colour plate section
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.