All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDo you kw who wrote Mark's Gospel? At first glance, it may seem a ridiculous question. 'Mark, of course!' I hear you shout? But who was Mark? Mark's name doesn't appear on the list of disciples, as Matthew's does. His Gospel doesn't start with a clear statement of investigation, as does Luke's, offering credibility. Yet, remarkably, large chunks of Mark's Gospel appear in both Matthew's and Luke's work. What's going on? Jeremy Duff provides insightful answers in his new book Peter's Preaching, revealing how an ancient source describes Mark as Peter's translator to a Greek-speaking world. Intriguingly, though, this source also tells us that while Mark recorded Peter's preaching 'accurately', he did t record it 'in order'. Mark devised his own order of the stories, for his own purpose, using a structure and format that were as radical in the first century as ebooks are today. But that is only the start of Jeremy's detective work in this stimulating book, which moves on to uncover Peter's thought on the key themes of the Christian message, found distributed throughout the Gospel. Jeremy pieces these themes together like a jigsaw to reveal how Peter understood them, and how that understanding helps us to appreciate the radical nature of first-century Christian faith.
- Author BiographyThe Revd Dr Jeremy Duff has taught New Testament at Oxford University and a number of theological colleges and courses, and is a vicar in an urban parish in the Diocese of Liverpool. For ten years he was one of the commissioning editors for BRF's Guidelines Bible reading notes and his book The Elements of New Testament Greek (2005) is Cambridge University Press's bestselling religion title. He is also the co-author, with the Revd Dr Joanna Collicutt McGrath, of Meeting Jesus: human responses to a yearning God (SPCK, 2006).
- Author(s)Jeremy Duff
- PublisherBRF (The Bible Reading Fellowship)
- Date of Publication16/06/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBRF (The Bible Reading Fellowship)
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $21.74
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.