All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe practice of petitioning the Ottoman Sultan was a well-kwn institution which existed in one form or ather throughout Ottoman history and enabled Ottoman subjects, far from the capital of Istanbul, to convey their grievances directly to the supreme ruler. Here, Yuval Ben-Bassat examines the petitions, including many previously unpublished ones, sent during the last decades of the Empire to the Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid II. The petitions enable Ben-Bassat to explore Palestine's history in this formative period from a unique perspective, providing first-hand accounts of the dilemmas, struggles, acts, concerns, schisms and transformations Palestinian society experienced. Petitioning the Sultan will be of great interest to a broad audience of specialists studying the history of the Middle East, the Ottoman Empire, and Palestine's late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century world.
- Author BiographyYuval Ben-Bassat is Lecturer in the Department of Middle Eastern History, University of Haifa, and holds a PhD in Near Eastern Languages and Cultures from the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Yuval Ben-Bassat
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication18/12/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notemaps, figures
- Weight567 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.