All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhallos is a 2004 vel by the acclaimed velist and critic Samuel R. Delany. Taking the form of a gay porgraphic vella, with the explicit sex omitted, Phallos is set during the reign of the second-century Roman emperor Hadrian, and circles around the historical account of the murder of the emperor's favorite, Antius. The story moves from Syracuse to Egypt, from the Pillars of Hercules to Rome, from Athens to Byzantium, and back. Young Neoptolomus searches after the stolen phallus of the nameless god of Hermopolis, crafted of gold and encrusted with jewels, within which are reputedly the ancient secrets of science and society that will lead to power, kwledge, and wealth. Vivid and clever, the original vella has been expanded by nearly a third. Appended to the text are an afterword by Robert F. Reid-Pharr and three astute speculative essays by Steven Shaviro, Kenneth R. James, and Darieck Scott.
- Author BiographySAMUEL R. DELANY is award-winning author of numerous works of fiction and nonfiction, most recently Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders. He lives in New York City. KENNETH R. JAMES is a noted Delany scholar and author of the introductions to Longer Views and 1984. He lives in Buffalo, New York.
- Author(s)Samuel R. Delany
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byRobert F. Reid-Pharr
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.