All listings for this product
About this product
- Description***This paperback edition has a new introduction by the author and updated content. This is the first volume of North Atlantic Books updated paperback edition of Dale Pendell s Pharmako trilogy, an encyclopedic study of the history and uses of psychoactive plants and related synthetics first published between 1995 and 2005. The books form an interrelated suite of works that provide the reader with a unique, reliable, and often personal immersion in this medically, culturally, and spiritually fascinating subject. All three books are beautifully designed and illustrated, and are written with unparalleled authority, erudition, playfulness, and range. Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons, and Herbcraft includes a new introduction by the author and as in previous editions focuses on familiar psychoactive plant-derived substances and related synthetics, ranging from the licit (tobacco, alcohol) to the illicit (cannabis, opium) and the exotic (absinthe, salvia divirum, nitrous oxide). Each substance is explored in detail, t only with information on its history, pharmacology, preparation, and cultural and esoteric correspondences, but also the subtleties of each plant s effect on consciousness in a way that only poets can do. The whole concoction is sprinkled with abundant quotations from famous writers, creating a literary brew as intoxicating as its subject. The Pharmako series is continued in Pharmako/Dynamis (focusing on stimulants and empathogens) and Pharmako/Gsis (which addresses psychedelics and shamanic plants).
- Author BiographyPlant student Dale Pendell established himself as one of the foremost popular exponents of shamanic ethnobotany with his unprecedented Pharmako trilogy. A noted poet, he was the founding editor of the avant-garde magazine Kuksu and a cofounder of the Primitive Arts Institute and has led workshops on ethnobotany and ethnopoetics for the Naropa Institute and the Omega Institute. Pendell was part of the Oracular Madness theme camp at Burning Man for a number of years (his book Inspired Madness: The Gifts of Burning Man was published by Frog Books in 2006). Also an experienced computer scientist, he lives with his wife Laura in California s Sierra foothills.
- Author(s)Dale Pendell
- PublisherNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectAlternative Therapies & Health
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Content NoteBlack and White Illustrations throughout
- Weight544 g
- Width178 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.