All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionEvangelical Dissent in the early eighteenth century had to address a variety of intellectual challenges. How reliable was the Bible? Was traditional Christian teaching about God, humanity, sin and salvation true? What was the role of reason in the Christian faith? Philip Doddridge (1702-51) pastored a sizeable evangelical congregation in Northampton, England, and ran a training academy for Dissenters which prepared men for pastoral ministry. Philip Doddridge and the Shaping of Evangelical Dissent examines his theology and philosophy in the context of these and other issues of his day and explores the leadership that he provided in evangelical Dissent in the first half of the eighteenth century. Offering a fresh look at Doddridge's thought, the book provides a criticial examination of the accepted view that Doddridge was influenced in his thinking primarily by Richard Baxter and John Locke. Exploring the influence of other streams of thought, from John Owen and other Puritan writers to Samuel Clarke and Isaac Watts, as well as interaction with contemporaries in Dissent, the book shows Doddridge to be a leader in, and shaper of, an evangelical Dissent which was essentially Calvinistic in its theology, adapted to the contours and culture of its times.
- Author BiographyRobert Strivens is the Principal of London Theological Seminary, where he teaches Church History and New Testament. His doctoral research at the University of Stirling was on the thought of Philip Doddridge. He was in the legal profession for fifteen years, before training for pastoral ministry at LTS and then pastoring a church in Banbury.
- Author(s)Robert Strivens
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2015
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleAshgate Studies in Evangelicalism
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight548 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Series Edited byAndrew Atherstone,David Ceri Jones
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.