All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most important things we do every day is eat. The question of eating - what and how - may seem simple at first, but it is dense with possible interpretations, reflecting the myriad roles food plays in our lives. In fact, as Raymond D. Boisvert and Lisa Heldke show in this book, it's difficult to imagine a more philosophically charged act than eating. Philosophers at Table explores the philosophical scaffolding that supports this crucial aspect of everyday life, showing that humans are t just creatures with minds, but creatures with stomachs. Examining a wealth of myths, literary works, histories and films - as well as philosophical ideas - the authors make the case for a philosophy of food. They look at Babette's Feast in a discussion of hospitality as a central ethical virtue. They compare eating a fast-food meal in Accra with dining at a molecular gastromy restaurant as a way of considering the nature of food as art. And they describe biting into a slug to explore tasting as a learning tool, a way of kwing. A surprising, original take on something we have t philosophically savoured eugh, Philosophers at Table invites readers to think in fresh ways about the simple and important act of eating.
- Author BiographyRaymond D. Boisvert is Professor of Philosophy at Siena College, New York, and the author of several books including I Eat: Therefore I Think (2014). Lisa Heldke is Professor of Philosophy at Gustavus Adolphus College, Minnesota. Her most recent book is Exotic Appetites: Ruminations of a Food Adventurer (2003).
- Author(s)Lisa M. Heldke,Raymond Boisvert
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication15/02/2016
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Weight272 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.