All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
About this product
- DescriptionIs philosophy dead? Some philosophers have declared it to be so, and judging by some of the mental acrobatics w fashionable in postmodernist circles a reasonable person might have to agree. Though recognising the moribund state of current academic philosophy, Mario Bunge feels that this is a crisis from which the discipline can and will recover. To overcome the impasse Bunge argues that it is necessary to reconstruct philosophy by building a philosophical system that addresses real-world problems of everyday people in a clear, comprehensible fashion. The new system must be exact and compatible with contemporary science and techlogy. Above all, it should shun purely academic problems. unfamiliar to the lay reader.It is thus accessible to the average educated reader interested in such perennial philosophical concerns as What is matter?, What is mind?, What is the nature of society?, Are there limits to our kwledge?, What are the criteria for distinguishing genuine science from pseudoscience?, and How should human rights be balanced with moral obligations? These questions will always be of interest to thinking human beings, says Bunge, and philosophy, rather than becoming a fruitless, self-referential academic game, should be the main intellectual tool for exploring and clarifying such all important issues.
- Author BiographyMario Bunge (Montreal, Quebec) is the Frothingham Professor of Logic and Metaphysics at McGill University, and is the author, editor, and/or translator of nearly 100 books, including The Dictionary of Philosophy and the eight-volume Treatise on Basic Philosophy.
- Author(s)Mario Bunge
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication01/01/2001
- Series TitlePrometheus Lecture Series
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Weight508 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.