All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.77
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
About this product
- DescriptionPhospholipid techlogy and applications is an essential reference for techlogists developing food and cosmetics products, scientists researching phospholipids in biological and food systems, techlogists in fats and oils refining, and scientists developing drugs and drug delivery systems and carriers. The major source of phospholipids is the lecithin recovered during degumming of vegetable oils, particularly soybean oil. This crude material finds uses in its own right but can be purified through a series of processes which eventually lead to individual phospholipid classes such as phosphatidylcholines. It is widely accepted that oil and water do t mix but there are several areas in science and techlogy where these two distinct phases must coexist in stable emulsions. This is achieved by admixture of amphiphilic molecules of which the phospholipids are important natural examples. Today, phospholipids find many uses in the food industry and in other industries which exploit the amphiphilic nature of these compounds. Further, there are w important procedures by which their amphiphilicity can be optimized for different uses. The early chapters in this book are devoted to the more common glycerol-based phospholipids and cover their structure, source, composition, modification by chemical and enzymatic methods, their physical, chemical, and nutritional properties, and their major uses. The final chapter is devoted to ather kind of phospholipid, the sphingolipids, in which there is a growing interest.
- Author BiographyFrank D. Gunstone, Scottish Crop Research Institute, Dundee, Scotland.
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleOily Press Lipid Library Series
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 22
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOily Press Ltd
- Content Notemany graphs & tables
- Weight530 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byFrank D. Gunstone
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.