All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.77
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
About this product
- DescriptionFrom 1912 to 1914, S. An-sky and the photographer Solomon Iudovin gathered materials and took photographs of Jewish daily life in pre-Revolutionary Russia's Pale of Settlement. Photographing the Jewish Nation offers English-language readers their first look at over 170 extraordinary, recently rediscovered photographs from their expeditions. The pictures provide visual texture-in remarkable detail-that rarely appears in written sources. This volume includes a critical introduction and five chapters that document all aspects of Jewish life inside the Pale, including work, education, and religious and cultural traditions.
- Author BiographyEUGENE M. AVRUTIN is Assistant Professor of History and Tobor Scholar in Jewish Studies at the University of Illinois. VALERII DYMSHITS is Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies and Director of the Interdepartmental Center, Petersburg Judaica, at the European University at St. Petersburg, Russia. ALEXANDER IVANOV is Senior Researcher at the European University at St. Petersburg. ALEXANDER LVOV is Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies at the European University at St. Petersburg. HARRIET MURAV is Professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of Illinois. ALLA SOKOLOVA is Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies at the European University at St. Petersburg.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication05/08/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrandeis University Press
- Content Note182 illus.
- Weight689 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Edited byEugene M. Avrutin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.