All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhotographs of the Netherlands East Indies at the Tropenmuseum offers a comprehensive introduction to one of the most important collections of colonial photography in the world. There is other collection at the Tropenmuseum that is so closely tied to the history of the institute itself. Photographs were already being collected in the late 19th century and have been continuously supplemented with new images to create the broadest possible perspective of topical developments in the Netherlands East Indies. After Indonesia declared its independence in 1945, the importance of the collection of historic photographs declined and it was consigned to obscurity. Interest in the collection blossomed again later when a large group of people in the Netherlands came to view them as reflecting a lost and increasingly romanticised world. From the 1980s the collection became a source of historical information and the subject of wide-scale academic research. This publication provides insight into how attitudes toward the collection have changed over the past 150 years and the various ways in which they have been used by the Tropenmuseum and its predecessors.
- Author(s)Anouk Mansfeld,Janneke van Dijk,Pim Westerkamp,Rob Jongmans,Steven Vink
- PublisherKIT Publishers
- Date of Publication27/09/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationAmersterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintKIT Publishers
- Content Note122 illus.
- Weight772 g
- Width5499 mm
- Height6797 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.