All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionPhotography and travel have been linked since 1839, when Daguerre and Talbot first made their inventions kwn to the public. The inventors and their advocates immediately recognised photography's capability to vividly represent the spectacles of the world, and make them accessible to the general public in the comfort of their homes. The unquestionable connection between photography and travel remains vital today. In Photography and Travel, Graham Smith provides a lively account of this partnership, discussing the diverse applications of photography to travel during the nineteenth century, in destinations as exotic as France, Italy, Greece, Egypt, Japan and North America. He then moves to the twentieth century, ranging from seaside excursions to transcontinental travel by rail, road and air. As it has become more democratized, the methods and experiences of travel have developed in many unexpected directions, all of which have created their own new photographic narratives. Photography and Travel shows that photographers have often gone to great lengths - at considerable personal danger - to record exotic destinations, from the ice caves and crevasses of the Mer de Glace to the maw of Vesuvius, the summit of Mount Everest and even the pock-marked surface of the moon. Photography and Travel provides a fascinating account of the 170-year partnership of photography and travel. Featuring a wealth of images from all over the world, the book will fascinate intrepid photographers as well as experienced - and armchair - explorers everywhere.
- Author BiographyGraham Smith is Professor Emeritus at the University of St Andrews and Editor of the international quarterly History of Photography.
- Author(s)Graham Smith
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication14/12/2012
- Series TitleExposures
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note80 colour illustrations, 20 black & white illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width190 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.