CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $105.99Trending at AU $107.61
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.04
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
About this product
- DescriptionPHYSICAL GEOLOGY: EXPLORING THE EARTH, Sixth Edition, doesn't just explain physical geology and its processes; it places that kwledge within the context of human experience by consistently emphasizing relevance, resources, and the environment. With this edition, the authors seek to answer two central questions, How does the planet work? and Why is this important to kw? By discussing the unifying theory of plate tectonics in detail early in the text, the authors are able to link diverse material by this common thread, providing a global perspective of Earth and allowing students to recognize seemingly unrelated geologic phemena as a continuum of interrelated events within a complete planetary system. In addition to providing students with an understanding of geology and its processes, the authors consistently demonstrate how geology relates to the human experience. By asking the question What would you do? throughout the text, students are encouraged to explore their reactions to particular situations. New Geology in Your Life sections address relevant student concerns, particularly in the areas of environment and energy. And a new penultimate chapter on Resources and the Fate of the Earth ties together many of the concepts of particular interest to students. This edition is fully integrated with the online student tutorial system Physical GeologyNow(TM). Physical GeologyNow uses a series of chapter-specific diagstic tests to build a personalized learning plan for each student, allowing students to focus their study time on specific areas of weaknesses. Each personalized learning plan directs students to specific chapter sections and concept-driven multimedia tutorials designed to augment their understanding.
- Author BiographyRichard W. Hazlett is the winner of 1996 and 2001 Wig Awards for teaching excellence at Pomona College. He is the first Stephen M. Pauley Chair in Environmental Analysis at the college, receiving this appointment in 2001. His main research interests involve volcanic stratigraphy, igneous petrology and resources, but most recently has been exploring land use issues focusing on the American West. Dr. Hazlett styles himself as transitioning from hard-core geology to environmental studies with a land use/natural resource emphasis. He is a co-author with Bernard Pipkin and Dee D. Trent on GEOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT and the script author of the EARTH REVEALED telecourse series. James S. Monroe is Professor Emeritus of Geology at Central Michigan University, where he taught Physical Geology, Historical Geology, Prehistoric Life, and Stratigraphy and Sedimentology beginning in 1975 and served as chair of the Geology department. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Montana. He has coauthored several textbooks with Reed Wicander and has interests in Cenozoic geology and geologic education. Monroe now lives in Chico, California, where he remains active in geology by teaching courses to a large group of retirees. Reed Wicander is a geology professor at Central Michigan University, where he teaches Physical Geology, Historical Geology, Prehistoric Life, and Invertebrate Paleontology and was previously chair of the department. He obtained his B.A. at San Diego State University and his Ph.D. at UCLA. His main research interests involve various aspects of Paleozoic palynology, specifically the study of acritarchs, on which he has published numerous papers. He is a past president of the American Association of Stratigraphic Palynologists and currently a councilor of the International Federation of Palynological Societies and chair of the Acritarch Subcommission of the Commission Internationale de Microflore du Paleozoique. He has coauthored several geology textbooks with James S. Monroe.
- Author(s)James Monroe,Reed Wicander,Richard W. Hazlett
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication20/04/2006
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight1490 g
- Width228 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementInternational ed of 6th revised ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.