All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionMedicine in eighteenth-century New York was practiced by rational physicians, empirics, and quacks whose varied backgrounds frustrate all attempts to portray the typical New York physician of the time. Physician Heal Thyself presents a group portrait that explores the similarities and differences in the education and medical practices of its subjects, including their patient care. Particular attention is given to rational physicians' efforts to upgrade medical standards by promoting legislation, a medical society, a medical school, a hospital dispensary, and a code of ethics. By comparing the different practitioners' medical techniques, this book shows how a combination of Old and New World standards and practices fostered a new type of medicine that was typically American. Physician Heal Thyself will be of interest to American historians, regional historians, and medical practitioners.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Marynita Anderson was born, raised and educated in New York City. She completed her baccalaureate studies at St. Joseph's College in Brooklyn and earned her Masters and Doctoral degrees in History at New York University with special interest in early American history and the history of medicine, science, and technology. Dr. Anderson is Professor of history at Nassau Community College of the State University of New York where she has been a member of the faculty since 1995.
- Author(s)Marynita Anderson
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/07/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 9: History
- Series Part/Volume Number170
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note10 ill., num. tables
- Weight520 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.