All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $120.58Trending at AU $139.18
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.74
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.74
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.71
About this product
- DescriptionThis text provides the first comprehensive examination of pictographic tation. Pictographic musical tation represents the relevant instruments themselves rendered visually rather than verbally. Used most extensively in contemporary publications between the 1950s and 1980s, its popularity has waned in recent years. This expertly researched work displays the resourcefulness and inventiveness of 20th century orchestrators. Providing a detailed examination of pictographic score tation, this unique book passes over 60 years of contemporary composition and score publications. Divided into three sections, this work describes instrumental pictographs, stage diagrams, and pictographic performance directives. In addition to the thoroughly researched information and extensive technique illustrations, commentary on individual examples and frequent cross-referencing of related examples, differentiate this work from other journal articles and tation texts.
- Author BiographyGARDNER READ is Professor Emeritus and was Composer-in-Residence at the School of Music, Boston University. A respected expert in the field of music notation, he has written numerous books and articles on composition theory, including the Compendium of Modern Instrumental Techniques (Greenwood, 1993), which received the Choice Outstanding Academic Book Award in 1994.
- Author(s)Gardner Read
- Date of Publication12/05/1998
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight592 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.