All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam Langland's 14th-century poem Piers Plowman is a disturbing and often humorous commentary on corruption and greed that remains meaningful today. The allegorical and satirical work revolves around the narrator's quest to live a good life, and takes the form of a series of dreams in which Piers, the honest plowman, appears in various guises. Characters such as Conscience, Fidelity and Charity tumble out of the text alongside Falsehood and Guile, and are instantly recognizable as our present-day politicians and celebrities, friends and neighbors. Along the way social issues are confronted, including governance, ecomic relations, criminal justice, public finance, marital relations and the limits of academic learning, as well as religious belief and the natural world. This book is a new verse translation of Piers from Middle English which preserves the energy, imagery and intent of the original, and retains its alliterative style. It derives from a 2012 arts festival presentation performed in the priory where Langland - a contemporary of Chaucer - was probably educated.
- Author BiographyPeter Sutton is a playwright, translator and editor. He has edited or translated numerous books and other documents from French, German, Italian and Spanish for international organizations including the Council of Europe and the OECD, as well as for lawyers, legal publishers and art centers. He has written German language textbooks and academic articles and reports on education and languages, and he has lectured on translation and English language at universities in several different countries. He lives in the United Kingdom.
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/12/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight372 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Translated byWilliam Langland,Peter Sutton
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.