All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an eagerly awaited new edition of a classic book that offers memories, myths, and meanings of the largest contiguous piece of wild area in Michigan's Lower Peninsula . The Pigeon River Country is a remote and beautiful forest in Northern Michigan. Ecologically distinct from most of the United States, the Pigeon River Country has a unique and storied past. Dale Clarke Franz has collected personal accounts from various people who have called the Pigeon River Country their home - including loggers, conservationists, mill workers, campers, and even Ernest Hemingway, who said he loved the forest better than anything in the world. There are also comprehensive discussions of the area's flora and fauna, guides to the trails and camping sites, and a photo section showcasing the evolving face of this hidden national treasure. This updated edition examines why the outdoors attracts us. It considers life beyond the boundaries of this Michigan forest, yet is steeped in the specifics of a place that lives mostly on its own terms instead of ours.
- Author BiographyDale Clarke Franz lived in northern Michigan for 22 years. He has been a newspaper editor, book-store manager, U.S. Navy officer, college instructor, and portrait photographer. He administered the Otsego County planning and zoning department encompassing more than 500 square miles. More recently, he has been a writer for the Ann Arbor Observer.
- Author(s)Dale Clarke Franz
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2008
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note14 illustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.