All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1945, Pilates Return to Life Through Contrology contains the authorised, legal, edited, and original Library of Congress version of Joseph H. Pilates and William J. Millers first complete fitness writings. It details the exercises, poses, and instructions fundamental to the matwork developed by Joseph and Clara Pilates. Based on his concepts of a balanced body and mind, and drawn from the approach espoused by the early Greeks, these are the exercises that continue to sustain a world-wide revolution in fitness strategies and exercise techniques. Joseph Pilates has been thing short of revolutionary in his impact on the world of fitness and exercise. Readers will learn and view the original 34 exercises that Pilates taught to his students, many of whom have become exercise gurus in their own right. These carefully designed exercises constitute the results of decades of scientific study and research into the variety of physical ills that upset the balance of body and mind. Practitioners of Pilates forms and exercises in the 21st century continue to expand upon this earlier work by presenting a variety of creative new approaches involving circular movements, standing postures, and core strengthening exercises using props such as tubes, weights, poles, bands, magic circles, mini-balls, stability balls, foam rollers, and more. Now included in this Revised Edition are 18 additional pages of explanations of what has transpired since the original 1945 work, along with several photo/text sequences of the latest 21st-century enhancements in the Pilates world. There are new descriptive pages of text that first describe the fitness principles evolved from Pilates original Contrology work. This is followed by detailed text describing 21st-century evolutionary developments that present the key dancers, choreographers, and leaders in the Pilates Studio and certifying organisations through the present. This section ends with a discussion of evolutionary props and apparatus developments, plus 21st-century sample exercises drawn from the larger book, Pilates Evolution for the 21st Century . Following this section are three complete prop-based demonstration exercises that include both photographic sequences (four per exercise) and step-by-step instructions for 21st-century Pilates exercises using the magic circle, elastic resistance, and the small fitness mini-ball.
- Author BiographyJoseph Pilates based his concepts of a balanced body and mind on the approach espoused by the early Greeks. His books discuss fitness, health, and include his original exercises that currently sustain a world-wide revolution in fitness strategies and exercise techniques. He has been nothing short of revolutionary in his impact on the world of fitness and exercise. Judd Robbins has spent more than thirty years teaching physical fitness to students across the United States. During more than half of that time, he has specialised in teaching and enhancing the fundamental guidance and instruction of Joseph Pilates. He has multiple certifications in Pilates, yoga, and martial arts from various organisations. Lin Van Heuit-Robbins brings a master's degree in exercise physiology from the University of California, Berkeley, to her regular teachings in Pilates and personal training. Certified by the Physical Mind Institute in Pilates, she is also certified by the American Council on Exercise as both a group instructor and a personal trainer.
- Author(s)Joseph Hubertus Pilates
- PublisherPresentation Dynamics Inc
- Date of Publication06/07/2012
- SubjectFitness & Diet
- Place of PublicationAshland, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPresentation Dynamics Inc
- Content Notephotos
- Weight184 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.