All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1945, this new printing of the first major publication by Joseph H. Pilates and William J. Miller details the exercises, poses, and instructions fundamental to the matwork developed by Joseph and Clara Pilates. Based on his concepts of a balanced body and mind and drawn from the approach espoused by the early Greeks, these are the exercises that currently sustain a world-wide revolution in fitness strategies and exercise techniques. Readers will learn the original 34 exercises that Pilates taught to his students, many of whom have become exercise gurus in their own right. These carefully designed exercises are the result of decades of scientific study, experimentation and research into the variety of physical ills that upset the balance of body and mind. In this book, readers will learn the exercises that Joseph Pilates recommended to accompany the basic advice regarding posture, body mechanics, correct breathing, spinal flexibility, and physical education.
- Author BiographyAt the beginning of the First World War, Joseph Pilates was imprisoned in England along with many Germans who happened to be living at the time in and around Lancaster, England. He was a German national who had been boxing and performing in England prior to 1914. While living in the Camp, he taught other residents the series of exercises that he had developed for personal use over the preceding decades both in Germany and in England. His own exercise sets drew strongly from his studies of yoga and Zen, as well as ancient Roman and Greek exercise regimens.
- Author(s)Joseph Hubertus Pilates,William Miller
- PublisherBodymind Publishing, Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/1998
- SubjectFitness & Diet
- Place of PublicationAshland, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBodymind Publishing, Inc
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight142 g
- Width215 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine6 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $37.05Trending at AU $39.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.